Stuck In The Middle With You

"I'm so scared in case I fall off my chair, and I'm wondering how I'll get down the stairs, clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, here I am stuck in the middle with you!"

Sunday, May 14, 2006

"A" is for Amok!

It is true that our national language has borrowed whole chunks of words and phrases from many different tongues around the world. English, Portuguese and Chinese to name a few.

But I’ve recently discovered from my assignment-procrastinating voyages inside the huge archives of Wikipedia that there is in fact one original word our humble country has contributed to the English language!

The word: AMOK!

No, not the heavy-metal band.

Here, check it out!

Well, yeah I’ll admit it’s a little unflattering on the reason WHY the word came about in the first place. But common! It’s still a Malaysian original word, right?

“It is good to be the King.”