Stuck In The Middle With You

"I'm so scared in case I fall off my chair, and I'm wondering how I'll get down the stairs, clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, here I am stuck in the middle with you!"

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Neo: Jujitsu? I am going to learn... Jujitsu?

Image hosting by Photobucket
Would you believe that these are just our warm-ups!
And me mom always wonders why I come home every Wednesday nights limping like an old man. Feels like one too I might add.

We end each Jujitsu class with a healthy dose of “friendly” sparing matches.
However, instead of the conventional standing spars, we usually grapple one another from a starting kneeling position. To win, we must employ techniques such as hand-locks, arm-bars, throws, strangulations and many other limb bending (and potentially bone snapping) maneuvers to make our opponent yield.

Close/ground combat is heavily emphasized in our training. This is probably what differs Jujitsu from other martial arts.

After taking the classes for nearly 2 years, I find myself fascinated by the changes that I am going through. The confidence that it gives is empowering. I have always been a non-confrontational kind of guy. Preferring to settle things with words and reasoning. I am still that kind of person (I hope!) but this time when things get ugly, at least I have some form of effective protection that I can provide for myself and for my love ones.

It is also amazing what one can learn from a physical fight with another. Its not only just brute strength or skills but also mental powers. At many times, I’ve been up against a stronger opponent but just the stubbornness on not giving up not matter how little air is left in your brain (yeah, he got me in a strangulations position. Everything was turning darker around me at that time!) is a victory in it self. I have actually seen my opponent slacking off just because I persevere long enough in an obvious death hold. That few microseconds of inattention gave me enough time to roll out of his hold and attempt a counter-strike.

Yeah well, I still gotten my ass kicked in the end… But I won a moral victory for myself! I never really pictured myself a physical fighter before. And I kind of like the challenge of grappling especially if you know that he is much stronger than you. The excitement and anticipation…. Sometimes intoxicating!

Image hosting by Photobucket

But to be clear on one thing. Jujitsu teaches one to “get out of a sticky situation”, not start one. That is the first doctrine we learn from sensei besides learning how to fall down without getting hurt. Ha ha… Kinda poetic that the first physical skill we learned in Jujitsu is how to fall down properly.

Anyway, sensei is always looking out for new students (fresh fish fresh fish fresh fish, eh Sean?) and he sometimes conducts street survival workshops and weapons disarming courses during the year. Just give me a buzz if you are interested! I am after all the class’s unofficial PR Manager. Hahahah…. And I thought the Jujitsu article I’ve wrote for The Star’s R-AGE section (with its spelling mistakes and horrible grammar) will not come back to haunt me. Sensei put copies of it all over Taylor’s College! With my full name on it! Waaaaah!

At least the check for the article came via mail already! About time too! 2 months late! And yes, Jo, yours is much more than mine!

“Steve Martin Laurence Fishburne.”

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is? Haha. Coolies!

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Learn la, Jo! Fun la to break someone's arm off and beat them to death with it. I think they will teach that only in black belt though... Sadness. :(

3:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home